St. Paul's School, founded in 1849, is a college-preparatory day school in the suburbs of Baltimore, Maryland, with a co-ed Lower School and all-boys' Middle and Upper Schools. The School's mission, "Seek truth, knowledge, and excellence; live by faith, compassion, and integrity," is the daily standard for all members of our community.
Seek Truth, Knowledge and Excellence; Live by Faith, Compassion and Integrity.
St. Paul's School is searching for a full-time Middle School Theatre Teacher to teach a comprehensive 5th through 8th grade Theatre program. This position involves teaching Theatre classes in grades 5-8. The successful candidate will have a passion for teaching middle school boys, and an ability and curricular vision to enhance the program, collaborating with upper school faculty to grow and enrich the overall Fine Arts Department.
The highly effective St. Paul's Middle School Theatre Teacher will:
- Foster an exciting, dynamic, and creative learning environment wherein the teaching of skills, techniques and a passion for communication and teamwork are paramount, while instilling pride in the program among students and the greater community.
- Demonstrate extensive knowledge of theatre pedagogy, including theater history, voice technique, movement technique, script analysis, improvisation, stage combat and ensemble building.
- Actively engage students in the curriculum and concepts through varied and differentiated instruction.
- Use a variety of resources in teaching including diverse methods and source materials.
- Work with SPSG counterpart to mount the annual joint middle school production, serving as director every other year and support staff in off years.
- Stage and direct bi-annual 8th grade scene nights in coordination with upper school open studio performances.
- Incorporate various forms of technology within the classroom and lessons.
- Identify and/or develops resources to meet the needs of the students with varying backgrounds, learning styles, and special needs.
- Work closely with the Dean of the Arts, as well as our Lower and Upper School arts faculty, in K-12 curriculum development and scheduling.
- Make learning irresistible through challenge in a well-structured and differentiated classroom.
- Be compassionate, kind, and love teaching/working with middle school boys.
- Be a lifelong learner passionate about his/her discipline.
- Be eager to work in an interdisciplinary, cross-curricular, and collaborative environment.
- Demonstrate flexibility, resilience, accountability, and humor.
- Serve as a great role model and advisor for adolescent boys.
- Consistently seek excellence, feedback, and demonstrates a growth mindset.
- Provide a positive learning environment.
- Exhibit strong interpersonal, communication, writing and organizational skills.
- Function well both independently and in a team setting.
- Meet deadlines, lead initiatives, and be proactive.
- Communicate effectively with students, parents, colleagues, and administrators.
- Will perform other duties as assigned.
Essential Duties and Responsibilities: Four classes, homeroom advisor, and the middle school play director, and one other duty represents a full-time teaching status.
Applicants must have a background in and the ability to captivate and challenge adolescent boys through the teaching of theater. In addition to a passion for the education of middle school boys, an ideal candidate will be enthusiastic, energetic, and willing to teach as a member of a grade level academic team. S/he will also be an advisor to a group of middle school students as well as leading extracurricular activities. The middle school theatre teacher will work collaboratively with the girls' school and upper school theater teachers, as well as with other members of the middle school faculty.
Education and/or Experience:
- Bachelor's degree in theatre, theatre education, or equivalent discipline is required; A Master's degree is preferred.
- Professional performance, directing and/or choreography background is a consideration.
- Education certification in grades K-12 is not required, but is a consideration.
- Candidates should have a minimum of two years teaching experience in elementary or secondary schools.
Interested candidates should submit an application, cover letter and resume via the following link: https://www.stpaulsschool.org/page.cfm?p=7663&Lock...
St. Paul's School is an equal opportunity employer.