Opening its doors in 1992, this magnificent arts facility was named in memory of Virginia P. and William F Ward, Sr. by lead donor and former trustee, William F. Ward Jr. '63. Shared equally by the boys and girls schools, the Center resulted from a coordinated fundraising campaign. Designed by James Grieves ’51, the 29,000-square foot building includes a 325-seat theater, an art gallery and reception area, painting and sculpture studios, a student publication office, and separate rooms for music and performance rehearsals.
Following the loss of its previous Chapel in the Lower School fire, St. Paul’s erected its magnificent Neo–Georgian chapel in April 1997. To encourage collegiality, the 12,000-square-foot building features traditional Anglican seating -- a central aisle between tiered pews facing each other – and bears the names of all alumni, headmasters, and rectors inscribed on panels on the wainscoting. Under the leadership of trustee Rick Rockwell, the School raised $2.5 million to construct the Chapel.
The Upper School grew again in 2010, with the dedication of Fisher Hall. The first major addition to the campus since the completion of the Middleton Athletic Center, and the first addition to the Upper School in more than three decades, Fisher Hall weaves together traditional architectural elements with state-of-the-art materials and technologies. Housing the library, a reading café, a large lecture hall, small group study rooms, a media lab, and a commons area for students and faculty, the LEED Gold-certified building is named in honor of Trustee David Fisher ’61 and his wife Laurie, co-Chairs of the $25 million Campaign for St. Paul's, and their family. Its 13,000 square-foot “green” library and student commons is named in honor of Josephine Scheffenacker, mother of alumnus and Trustee David Scheffenacker, Jr. ’77.
In the summer of 1997, the Upper School underwent a dramatic expansion, as the former “Penny Arcade between James H. Ratcliffe Hall (built in 1964) and the Grover Hermann Library, was demolished and replaced with classrooms and offices.
St. Paul’s acquired the historic mansion that houses its administrative offices in 1952, and is the building’s fourth occupant. Charles Carroll, the only Catholic signatory of the Declaration of Independence, built the home in the early 1790s as a summer residence for his daughter Mary. In 1845 George Brown, head of Alex. Brown, the first investment bank in the U.S., purchased the land, and four generations of the Brown family lived at Brooklandwood. In 1911, Captain Isaac E. Emerson, inventor of Bromo Seltzer, acquired the estate. His step-daughter’s family would be the last residents of the house before it became home to the School.
On January 30, 1990, in a six-alarm fire, the Lower School rose in flames. Four hours later the building was gutted. Ten months later a 350-pound bell – tuned to the note of E – was lowered into the central tower as the new lower school was dedicated in front of 1,500 people.
Built as an extension to Kinsolving Gym, the Middleton Athletic Center was funded through the $12 million sesquicetennial campaign, co-chaired by Andie and Jack Laporte. The old space plus the new addition can hold three simultaneous basketball games, two wrestling matches, two batting cages, a 13,000 square foot performance space, a fitness center, and new training and weight rooms. In 2009, through the efforts of loyal alumni the center was rechristened in honor of former Headmaster S. Atherton Middleton.
Ordeman Hall, named for former Headmaster Jack Ordeman, was a dormitory for boarding students until 1971. This building also served as the student bookstore and office for Page from 1976-1984. Since 1993, when a $285,000 renovation made updates possible, it has been the home of the fifth grade, as these boys make the transition to Middle School.
The original Middle School building was built in 1969 and named after former Headmaster S. Atherton Middleton. This building was made possible through the “Crusade for Excellence” campaign which raised $550,000. In 2002, the building was expanded and renamed Chapin Hall, in honor of a Bedford Chapin'42, a former trustee and lead donor to the Sesquicentennial Campaign, with the new structure encompassing the former building.
The Kelly Gymnasium was built as an annex to the Middle School in 1969 and was secured through a capital campaign by a gift from the Ensign C. Markland Kelly, Jr. Memorial Foundation. In 2011, a group of generous donors made gifts that enabled the School to convert Kelly Gym into the first on-campus squash facility at an independent boys school in Maryland.