Philanthropy has been a cornerstone of St. Paul’s since its founding in 1849 as a parish school for “the maintenance and education of poor boys” in Baltimore City. Behind the leadership of Rev. Dr. William Wyatt, the original twelve subscribers provided the financial foundation for the school we see today. Over the ensuing century and a half, generous alumni, parents, Trustees, and friends have supported St. Paul's transformation into a world-class school with national recognition and global reach. Our beautiful Brooklandwood campus was a gift from the benevolent society of Old St. Paul’s Church; a series of capital campaigns have transformed the Lower, Middle, and Upper Schools and added the Chapel, Ward Center for the Arts, and Middleton Athletic Center to the campus.
That tradition of philanthropic support is stronger than ever today. The recently completed $25 million campaign was the largest fundraising initiative in the School's history. Gifts to the endowment provide a continuing revenue base to support faculty, student programs, financial aid, and general operations. And the St. Paul’s Annual Fund remains a critical component of the School’s day-to-day program excellence, providing eight of the operating budget in the most recently completed fiscal year.